May 15, 2008

What's wrong with this picture?



Here's a hint: the maximum amount for a contactless transaction is $25, anything above that requires a normal card transaction.

Correction:

What I originally wrote in this post is not always true, and it turns out not in Singapore in any case. A friend of mine says this about the picture:

"The picture is of the UOB reader in Singapore. Visa payWave cards are accepted on payWave interface for any amount. I have bought curry puff at S$1.50 and coffee at S$4.00 using payWave. Also, Visa payWave limit in Singapore is S$ 100 much above the S$ 25 (I assume you meant S$ and not US$) you mention in your blog. So I think the blog is misleading... "

The problem is that sign, which is confusing. Part of the growing pains of getting merchants to correctly promote contactless, I guess.

1 comment:

dgwbirch said...

"The problem is that sign, which is confusing."

Quite. It doesn't matter what the actual rules are (I've used my UK contactless card in Singapore for cups of coffee and stuff and it works fine) but the signage and marketing collateral must be clear and consistent.